Former Daily Show reporter John Oliver’s fake news show on HBO is bucking the odds: diving deep into stories that aren’t in the headlines, and climbing in the ratings. On today’s show, what happens when comedy meets investigative journalism ?
Then, A-list DJs appear to live in the top tier of fabulousness. Jet-setting to giant clubs and VIP parties. We’ll get the inside view from Juan MacLean, an international star living quietly in Dover, NH.
Listen to the full show:
John Oliver: The Journalist?
- What happens when comedy meets investigative journalism? Asawin Suebsaeng, deputy social media editor at The Daily Beast pondered that question in an article: “Last Week Tonight’ Does Real Journalism, No Matter What John Oliver Says”. Andrew Beaujon, media reporter for Poynter online, joined the conversation.
Here's John Oliver talking about the Miss America Pageant.
- If you’ve ever purchased a set of shelves from Ikea, you know the drill: simply follow the assembly directions, and a few hours, and--perhaps tantrums--later, you’ll wind up with a set of reasonably priced and reasonably sturdy shelves. But what happens if you don’t follow the script? 99% Invisible’s Roman Mars enters the world of Ikea-hacking.
- You can listen to this story and see photos of some hacks at 99percentinvisible.org.
Inside the Doge Meme
- Kyle Chayka is a freelance writer for Newsweek, Matter, and Pacific Standard among others. We found his article: “Wow. Scare. Amaze. That’s What It’s Like When Your Pet Goes Viral,” on readmatter.com.
The Juan MacLean
- John MacLean is a DJ, producer, electronic musician and the creative force behind The Juan MacLean with Nancy Whang. Their third album, In A Dream, has just been released and is getting a lot of love from music critics.
- You can see videos and read more at this link.