“Apple Pay” came out of the gate with great fanfare and claims that the mobile-payment system will make purchasing easier and more secure. On today’s show, a closer scan of Apple Pay and find out who is set to benefit – and who is not.
And, from traffic cams to EZ Pass, big brother is riding along with us more than we think. But just how much are drivers being monitored? And, after a week of historic wins and losses, we’ll sample the art of the concession speech.
Listen to the full show and click Read more for individual segments.
Apple Pay, Yea or Nay?
- Two weeks ago today, apple unveiled its latest creation: Apple Pay, a mobile payment system it claims will make purchasing easier and more secure. Some major retailers aren’t having it….but why? Rob Fleischman is chief technology officer at Xero-Cole, and our chief explainer of all things wired.
- Read more on the story here: Apple Pay: Yea or Nay?
- In this piece produced last July, producer Julie Sabatier investigates the DIY mindset that proves you don’t have to be mutli-millionaire to try and get to space.
- This story is part of the Stem Story Project -- distributed by PRX and made possible with funds from the Alfred P. Sloan foundation. You can listen to it at PRX.org.
Big Brother is in Your Car
- Jamie Page Deaton of US News and World Report "Best Cars" tells us about the latest in surveillance technology that's cropping up in cars. You can read her article on the subject here: "How Big Brother Gets in Your Car".
What Happens When a Camera Photographs Your License Plate
- You’re driving your car down a street and as you pass, a camera takes a photo of your license plate. Who is taking the photo and what are they doing with the information? Producer Cyrus Farivar has the story.
- You can listen to this story at PRX.org.
AIs Are Re-writing History
- Robert Elliott Smith is a teaching fellow at University College in London in the Department of Computer Science. He wrote an essay on his blog called, “It’s Official: AIs Are Now Rewriting History.”
- We’re continuing our attempt to stay above the contemporary partisan fray with the ghostly victors and vanquished of elections past. Brady Carlson, NHPR’s host of All Things Considered, and Word of Mouth’s sometime awesomator, joins us to discuss. He is also hard at work on his forthcoming book, Dead Presidents: An American Adventure.
- You can see video from some of the concession speeches at this link: Political Losers: The Concession Speech.