Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Why Are So Many People Trying A Gluten-Free Diet? Should They?
- Gorham Man Charged With Kidnapping Abigail Hernandez
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
13.7: Cosmos And Culture
Thu July 11, 2013
To The '13.7' Community: I Love You, Man!
Two hundred and eleven comments and counting — about poetry! We here at 13.7 have come to understand what the hot-button issues are for most people. The strongest responses happen in reaction to posts about religion and science, animal welfare, diet and children's issues.
Then — unexpectedly — my post on the relationship between science and poetry launched a vibrant and compelling discussion about the nature and importance of poetry.
One usually gets the feeling that poetry has become, well, kind of unimportant for modern society. For those who love and are moved by its forms, it can feel kind of lonely. But, clearly, poetry is doing OK if a blog post on one of the nation's most respected news sites can generate a firestorm of deeply felt and closely argued commentary.
Take that, you horrible, nasty, disheartening YouTube comments!