Today on Word of Mouth, a sweet conversation with a man who knows maple syrup. Emerson writing professor and author, Douglas Whynott joins us to discuss his new book The Sugar Season: A Year in the Life of Maple Syrup and One Family's Quest for the Sweetest Harvest. Plus, we'll put Whynott to the test when he joins Virginia in a blindfolded taste test of 4 grades of authentic, New Hampshire made maple syrup and one imposter.
Also on the show, Jamie Page Deaton breaks down her list of the top choices for family cars.
Listen to the full show and click Read More for individual segments.
The Sugar Season
- Douglas Whynott is the author of the new book The Sugar Season: A Year in the Life of Maple Syrup and One Family's Quest for the Sweetest Harvest. He followed the Bascom family--one of the largest producers of pure maple syrup in New England--for a year to gain a better understanding of the maple syrup industry.
- On Monday March 24th, at 7:00p.m. you can see Douglas at Portsmouth's River Run Bookstore
- Douglas will also be at Gibson's bookstores on April 2nd for a reading and a signing event. For more information on his upcoming appearances, visit the events page at his website: douglasswhynott.com
Maple Syrup Taste Test
- Douglas was kind enough to join Virginia in an unscientific taste test of maple syrup grades. You can watch a video of the test by clicking on this link and listen to the segment that aired, below.
Best Cars for Families
- Jamie Page Deaton is back on the show to highlight her picks for the best family cars on the market. You can see the full list and hear Virginia's interview with Jamie by clicking on this link.