Most Active Stories
Word of Mouth
Thu March 20, 2014
3.20.14: The Birds, The Bees, & The Birds And The Bees
While the weather these days might not be an indicator, spring is officially here. Which got us thinking in the Word of Mouth pod...about the birds and the bees. And also birds and bees. On today's show a conversation about the most awkward talk a parent has to have: "the talk." Also, a bird expert tells us about this year's unusual snowy owl migration. We'll also hear about the next great frontier in self tracking apps: fertility apps.
Listen to the full show and click Read More for individual segments.
Let's Talk About Sex
- Senior Producer Maureen McMurray shares what just might be the most awkward talk about the birds and the bees ever told.
Let's Talk About Data Permanence
- Mat Honan senior writer at Wired breaks down the new awkward 'talk' parents are having with their kids: do you realize what you post online lasts forever?
- Fertility apps aren't new, but the idea that they could be used as supplemental insurance is. Sarah Mishkin from the Financial Times joins us to talk about the quest to get employers to help fund the costs of infertility.
- Eric Masterson is in studio to talk about the rare influx of snowy owls to the granite state.
- John Hafernik joined us to talk about a new parasite that is turning honey bees into automatons. John is professor of biology at San Francisco State University and director of zombeewatch.org.
Word of Mouth