Most Active Stories
Word of Mouth
Wed April 23, 2014
4.23.14: The Brain Sell, Sandra Bernhard, & The Search For The Next Dog Star
Big congratulations to Word of Mouth's own Zach Nugent for his Murrow Award! Hear an encore of Zach's adorable story, plus so much more on today's show. We explore The Brain Sell, a new book about how our consumption decisions are influenced by retailers. Then, the safety pin is more than a mundane fastener - it's a staple in punk fashion and history. Sandra Bernhard joins us to talk about her show Sandyland. Finally, NHPR's Sam Evans-Brown takes into the world of New Hampshire's wolf dogs, blurring the line between domestic and wild.
Listen to the full show and click Read more for individual segments
The Brain Sell
- Dr. David Lewis is author of The Brain Sell: When Science Meets Shopping. His book explores, among other topics, how retailers are influencing our decision-making, sometimes without our knowledge.
The Punk Rock History of the Safety Pin
- Writer Ted Kulczycky is a contributor to Worn Fashion Journal. His article “Safety Dance: How The Safety Pin Became A Revolutionary Fashion Accessory” was published in The Worn Archive anthology.
Sandra Bernhard's Sandyland
- Word of Mouth continues with a woman whose wits targeted the fatuous, comfortable status quo as sharply as any safety-pinned punk rocker – the irrepressible Sandra Bernhard. She joins us to talk about which buttons she feels need pushing in 2014. She will be performing her new show Sandyland at the Silver Center for the Arts in Plymouth, NH on Friday, April 25th.
- A big congratulations to our own Zach Nugent for winning an Edward R. Murrow award for best feature reporting! Check out the adorable story on auditions for Annie's Sandy here.
- As NHPR’s Sam Evans-Brown reports, a population of abandoned wolf dogs prompted this latest look at an animal that falls squarely in the grey area between wild and tame.
Word of Mouth