"Welcome to Whose Line is it Anyway, the show where everything's made up and the points don't matter." - Drew Carey
When life throws curveballs, I like to apply those wise words of Drew Carey to my life - the small stuff I'm stressing about probably doesn't matter in the long run. But sometimes it takes more than a "Everything is gonna be all right" to bring us out of a slump. That's when we turn to people - and powers - for help. On today's Word of Mouth, we're discussing the benefits and nuances of life coaching, life hacking, and astrology. Sharpen your resume and shape your aura - WoM is here to inspire.
Listen to the full show and click Read more for individual segments!
Fewer Therapists, More Life Coaches
- Genevieve Smith is a senior editor at New York Magazine, and a contributor to harper’s magazine. She wanted to know more about the business of life-coaching – and was given permission to observe and write about a five-session training course on one condition – that she also participate.
Why Astrology is Cool
- While some cast a skeptical eye on astrology, a 2013 Harris poll revealed that 29% of Americans have faith in astrological readings, and that number may be rising. But why? Journalist Amanda Petrusich wrote about its growing popularity for Buzzfeed and asked the question “Is it time for us to take astrology more seriously?”
- Reporter Sean Hurley isn't quite sure what he believes when it comes to mediums, witches, and astrology - to find out more, he visited two psychic fairs in New Hampshire, and a quiet gathering of mediums in Londonderry.
- The writer Nikil Saval dug into the decidedly contemporary craze for life-hacking and discovered its early industrial roots. We found her article “The Secret History of Life-Hacking of the Cult of Self-Optimization” in Pacific Standard magazine.
- Back in the mid-20th century, when people imagined the future, it’s likely they didn’t have life hacking in mind, but other, more visible technological developments. Producer Eric Molinsky brings us this story – and yes, I want my flying car… and a jet pack.