Most Active Stories
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
- In Somersworth, Friends, Not Jobs, Bring Millennials Home
Wed November 20, 2013
Alice Fogel Named Next Poet Laureate of NH
Acworth poet Alice Fogel has been named New Hampshire’s next poet laureate.
The Executive Council approved Governor Maggie Hassan’s nomination at a meeting Wednesday.
Alice Fogel was selected from a group of 17 poets nominated for the distinction.
Kyle Potvin of the Poetry Society of New Hampshire, one of the groups that coordinated the nomination process, says Fogel’s literary reputation made her an ideal candidate.
She is both known nationally and is very respected here in New Hampshire. Her book "Be That Empty" was a national poetry bestseller. She has been published in a lot of A list journals. She received a national endowment for the arts fellowship.
Potvin says Fogel's history of bringing poetry to the people was another reason she was the clear choice.
Her five-year term begins in January 2014.
For NHPR news, I’m Sean Hurley