Most Active Stories
- Former UNH Student Goes It Alone In Criminal Court, Wins 'Not Guilty' Verdict
- Update: Speaker Demands Apology For Abortion Remark During Debate Over Fourth Graders' Bird Bill
- Update: N.H. AG Says Murder-Suicide Likely In Deaths Of Bedford Mother, Two Children
- Report: Former Chief Justice Banned From UNH Law's Rudman Center
- Why Human Feeding Can Hurt Deer
Wed November 20, 2013
Alice Fogel Named Next Poet Laureate of NH
Acworth poet Alice Fogel has been named New Hampshire’s next poet laureate.
The Executive Council approved Governor Maggie Hassan’s nomination at a meeting Wednesday.
Alice Fogel was selected from a group of 17 poets nominated for the distinction.
Kyle Potvin of the Poetry Society of New Hampshire, one of the groups that coordinated the nomination process, says Fogel’s literary reputation made her an ideal candidate.
She is both known nationally and is very respected here in New Hampshire. Her book "Be That Empty" was a national poetry bestseller. She has been published in a lot of A list journals. She received a national endowment for the arts fellowship.
Potvin says Fogel's history of bringing poetry to the people was another reason she was the clear choice.
Her five-year term begins in January 2014.
For NHPR news, I’m Sean Hurley