Most Active Stories
- Historic Ice-Out Of Winnipesaukee Expected
- Mariano Rivera Jr. To Play For Laconia Muskrats This Summer
- Newbie Urban Gardeners Don't Realize How Much Soil Is Contaminated
- New N.H. Housing Report: Demographics & Housing Mismatch
- A Glimpse At Your Future Electric Bill? N.H. Utility Experiments Encourage Conservation
Fri November 8, 2013
And The Winner Of The North Country Chef Competition Is...
Travis Giles, the culinary instructor at The White Mountains Community College in Berlin, is the winner of the North Country Chef’s Challenge, an effort to see who can best match culinary skills with local ingredients.
Giles was competing against seven other chefs.
The judges were from the White Mountain chapter of the American Culinary Federation.
The event is the idea of the North Country Farmer’s Co-op.
For his entrée Giles began with “a whole red deer” from a farm Milan.
“I made pate out of the liver. I took the leg meat and made sausage. Then, I braised the shoulder. And, then I roasted the loin,” he said. “I had multiple cooking techniques involved there.”
Second place went to Tim Pomerleau of the White Mountain Cider Company in Glen.
Third was Lisa Raymond of the Margarita Grill in Glen.
The November 3 event was held at the Mountain View Grand Resort in Whitefield. About 200 people attended the charity fundraiser, sampling the dishes and voting for personal favorites.