Most Active Stories
- N.H. Weather Updates: Power Outages Surge Across Granite State
- Capital Corridor Rail Study: Rail To Manchester a Good Deal, Concord Only So-So
- Portsmouth's Iconic Scrap Piles Are Gone For Good
- "Sailor Jerry" Ad Man Turns To History-Rich Tamworth For Whiskey Distillery
- Something Wild: Are Golden Eagles Returning To The Granite State?
Word of Mouth
Wed June 20, 2012
Are Op-Ed Pages Sexist?
With some notable exceptions of course, when you’re the local newspapers op-ed page, you’re liable to see a deliberate balance of material from both sides of the political aisle. What you won’t see apparently, is a representative proportion of writers by gender… except for a few female dominated subjects, a surprising majority of op eds are written by men. Catherine Orenstein is founder and director of the Op-Ed Project, a group that’s been studying the issue and working to increase the range of voices in our opinion pages