Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Why Are So Many People Trying A Gluten-Free Diet? Should They?
- Gorham Man Charged With Kidnapping Abigail Hernandez
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
Word of Mouth
Wed June 20, 2012
Are Op-Ed Pages Sexist?
With some notable exceptions of course, when you’re the local newspapers op-ed page, you’re liable to see a deliberate balance of material from both sides of the political aisle. What you won’t see apparently, is a representative proportion of writers by gender… except for a few female dominated subjects, a surprising majority of op eds are written by men. Catherine Orenstein is founder and director of the Op-Ed Project, a group that’s been studying the issue and working to increase the range of voices in our opinion pages