Most Active Stories
- A Huge, New Ski Resort At The Balsams?
- Rail Study Group Expects 3,000 Riders Daily Between Manchester and Boston
- N.H. Senate Approves Medicaid Expansion Proposal
- Miss. Man Thought Dead, Comes Back To Life On Embalming Table
- With Escalating Heroin Epidemic In Portsmouth, City's Reputation Could Be On The Line
Word of Mouth
Wed June 20, 2012
Are Op-Ed Pages Sexist?
With some notable exceptions of course, when you’re the local newspapers op-ed page, you’re liable to see a deliberate balance of material from both sides of the political aisle. What you won’t see apparently, is a representative proportion of writers by gender… except for a few female dominated subjects, a surprising majority of op eds are written by men. Catherine Orenstein is founder and director of the Op-Ed Project, a group that’s been studying the issue and working to increase the range of voices in our opinion pages