Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- Bill Would Require N.H. Employers To Offer Five Sick Days Per Year
Thu June 21, 2012
Are Public Universities Still Public?
Originally published on Thu June 21, 2012 5:19 pm
The recent firing of the president of the University of Virginia brought that public university into the national spotlight. But on Thursday, the Commonwealth of Virginia contributes only seven percent of the university's budget. Many other public universities receive similarly small percentages of their funding from state budgets, which raises the question — how public are our public universities? Robert Siegel talks to Eric Kelderman, reporter for The Chronicle of Higher Education.