Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
Sat January 12, 2013
Author Molly Michelmore and her new book "Tax and Spend"
Author Molly Michelmore explores what she calls the fundamental paradox of American Politics: We’re hostile toward taxes, but we also demand the privileges government offers from social security to local police protection. Michelmore examines the history of this conundrum and finds these attitudes consistent from FDR’s New Deal to the Reagan Revolution.
Molly Michelmore - Associate Professor of History at Washington and Lee University and author of "Tax and Spend: The Welfare State, Tax Politics and the Limits of American Liberalism"