Most Active Stories
- Historic Ice-Out Of Winnipesaukee Expected
- Mariano Rivera Jr. To Play For Laconia Muskrats This Summer
- New N.H. Housing Report: Demographics & Housing Mismatch
- A Glimpse At Your Future Electric Bill? N.H. Utility Experiments Encourage Conservation
- Wind Farm Owner OK With Expanding Ski Slopes At Balsams If Safety Isn't An Issue
Tue April 10, 2012
Balsams Renovation Plan Moves Ahead
The new owners of the closed Balsams resort in Dixville Notch are moving ahead with plans to renovate the North Country resort.
NHPR’s Chris Jensen reports.
Improvements at the Balsams resort will include a new conference center, spa, pool house and suites near the Hampshire House.
That’s according to the web site of Summit Engineering of Portsmouth which says the firm has been chosen to handle the structural engineering.
The additions will add about 80,000 square feet to the resort.
In December the resort was sold for about $2.3 million to Dan Hebert and Dan Dagesse, two North Country businessmen.
But the grand hotel badly needed upgrading and was closed.
That put several hundred full and part-time employees out of work and shut down a major North-Country economic engine.
Hebert and Dagesse have declined to be interviewed.
But a spokesman says the renovation is likely to cost “tens of millions of dollars.”
For NHPR News this is Chris Jensen