Most Active Stories
- Podcast Special: Crime Writers On Serial, Episode 10 Discussion
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
Word of Mouth
Thu October 18, 2012
Banning Formula in Hospitals in Favor of Breast Feeding
Hospitals, advocates, and even formula manufacturers acknowledge that when it comes to newborns, “breast is best.” And yet free samples of formula are ubiquitous inside many hospital walls – offered by nurses, doctors, or thrown in goodie bags for new mothers heading home after giving birth. Now, some hospitals are calling for an in-house ban on free formula samples. They say the relative ease of bottle-feeding may sway new nursing mothers to give up on the breast. Pam Belluck joins us, she is a health and science reporter at the New York Times.