Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
Thu May 1, 2014
Beijing Bans Outdoor Grills
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. Grilling season is coming up, but not in smoggy Beijing. The city has banned smoky outdoor grills in a fight against its notorious pollution. Beijing's popular kebab vendors will be forced to move inside. Critics there say it's a smokescreen to distract from coal mines and cars turning out far more pollution.
One Chinese official was scorned last fall for saying stir fry was a significant source of pollution. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.