Most Active Stories
- A Huge, New Ski Resort At The Balsams?
- Rail Study Group Expects 3,000 Riders Daily Between Manchester and Boston
- N.H. Senate Approves Medicaid Expansion Proposal
- Miss. Man Thought Dead, Comes Back To Life On Embalming Table
- With Escalating Heroin Epidemic In Portsmouth, City's Reputation Could Be On The Line
Mon February 17, 2014
Coach Katey Stone, UNH '89, Leads US Womens Hockey Team To Olympic Final
Two graduates of UNH will represent the United States on Thursday in the final women's hockey game in Sochi.
Coach Katey Stone will be leading the US womens hockey team against Canada, the three-time defending champion. Stone is in Sochi on hiatus from Harvard University, where she is head coach of the women’s hockey team.
Stone is the first ever female coach of the US women's hockey team, a team that has medalled every year, but hasn’t won gold since 1998.
Stone has said coaching the US Olympic team an incredible honor and a humbling opportunity. Playing under Stone is another UNH alumna, Kacey Bellamy. Bellamy graduated in 2008.
Stone and Bellamy are two of seven UNH alumni competing at the winter Olympics in Sochi.