Most Active Stories
- Former UNH Student Goes It Alone In Criminal Court, Wins 'Not Guilty' Verdict
- Update: Speaker Demands Apology For Abortion Remark During Debate Over Fourth Graders' Bird Bill
- Update: N.H. AG Says Murder-Suicide Likely In Deaths Of Bedford Mother, Two Children
- Report: Former Chief Justice Banned From UNH Law's Rudman Center
- Why Human Feeding Can Hurt Deer
Wed April 30, 2014
Delay Sought In Racist Graffiti Trial
The lawyer for a New Hampshire man who survived a self-inflicted gunshot to the head after being charged with writing racist graffiti on homes is questioning his ability to stand trial.
Raymond Stevens of Pembroke pleaded not guilty last year to a felony criminal mischief charge, accused of writing the messages on the Concord homes of African refugee families. He has been under home confinement.
A competency hearing for the 43-year-old Stevens is scheduled for next week in Merrimack County Superior Court. The Concord Monitor reports public defender Melinda Siranian has asked for a 45-day delay to gather medical documents for a pending psychological evaluation.
A court document says a state psychologist started evaluating Stevens on April 9.