Most Active Stories
- Sen. Kelly Ayotte's State Director Resigns Following Prostitution-Related Arrest
- O'Malley Connects With Young N.H. Voters -- Musically
- Fish And Game Gets An Earful On Proposed Ban Of Chocolate As Bear Bait
- Keene City Council Rejects Permit For 2015 Pumpkin Festival
- N.H. House Passes Budget, Cuts $300 Million From Hassan's Plan
Tue December 20, 2011
Driver died In Whitefield Tractor-Trailer Crash
The driver of a tractor trailer that crashed in Whitefield early Tuesday morning was killed when the load of steel being transported shifted and crushed the cab, according to a news release from the state police.
Here’s what police said happened:
“At approximately 5:50 a.m. a 2006 Peterbilt tractor truck was traveling north on Route 116 in Whitefield. The tractor was pulling a flatbed trailer with a load of steel when the driver lost control on a downhill grade as it approached the junction of Route 3.
“The driver was unable to stop and traveled through the intersection, striking a steel support beam for the gas pump island at Lufkin's Service Center. The tractor also sheared off one set of gas pumps before continuing north through Lufkin's parking lot and over a steep embankment, coming to rest next to the Johns River.”
Police said the identity of the driver is not yet being released.
Rescuer responding to the scene reported the roads were extremely slippery due to black ice.