Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
- Star Island Seeks To Go Solar, Serve As Energy Example
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
Tue November 12, 2013
Executive Councilor Ray Burton Dies
Less than three weeks after Executive Councilor Ray Burton announced his kidney cancer was no longer in remission he died.
“Executive Council Burton passed away at 1:53 this morning at his home in Bath,” said B.J. Perry, an aide to Burton.
Perry said Burton was surrounded by friends at the time of his death.
Burton, 74, had represented the North Country for about 40 years. He served as executive councilor as well as a Grafton County commissioner.
Gov. Maggie Hassan ordered flags to fly at half mast and in a statement noted New Hampshire “lost one of the most dedicated, caring and unwavering public servants that the State of New Hampshire has ever known.”
“It is the end of era,” said Senator Jeff Woodburn, a Democrat from Dalton who represents the North Country.
Funeral arrangements were not announced.