Most Active Stories
- A Huge, New Ski Resort At The Balsams?
- Rail Study Group Expects 3,000 Riders Daily Between Manchester and Boston
- Miss. Man Thought Dead, Comes Back To Life On Embalming Table
- With Escalating Heroin Epidemic In Portsmouth, City's Reputation Could Be On The Line
- From Gertrude Stein To Andy Warhol: Dramatic Readings Of Famous Rejection Letters
Thu August 30, 2012
Family Band On World Cafe
The Brooklyn-based ambient-folk duo Family Band is a collaboration between visual artist turned frontwoman Kim Krans and her husband, former heavy-metal guitarist Jonny Ollsin. Together, they craft beautifully dark, folk-influenced songs, which they fittingly describe as "heavy mellow."
Inspiration for the chilly, haunting music on their second album (Grace & Lies) came from ghostly figures Krans says she saw near the couple's cabin in upstate New York, where they recorded the majority of the record. The pair returns to World Cafe to play songs from Grace & Lies — including their collaboration with Grizzly Bear's Dan Rossen, "Again."