Most Active Stories
- Sen. Kelly Ayotte's State Director Resigns Following Prostitution-Related Arrest
- O'Malley Connects With Young N.H. Voters -- Musically
- Fish And Game Gets An Earful On Proposed Ban Of Chocolate As Bear Bait
- Keene City Council Rejects Permit For 2015 Pumpkin Festival
- N.H. House Passes Budget, Cuts $300 Million From Hassan's Plan
Thu August 30, 2012
Family Band On World Cafe
The Brooklyn-based ambient-folk duo Family Band is a collaboration between visual artist turned frontwoman Kim Krans and her husband, former heavy-metal guitarist Jonny Ollsin. Together, they craft beautifully dark, folk-influenced songs, which they fittingly describe as "heavy mellow."
Inspiration for the chilly, haunting music on their second album (Grace & Lies) came from ghostly figures Krans says she saw near the couple's cabin in upstate New York, where they recorded the majority of the record. The pair returns to World Cafe to play songs from Grace & Lies — including their collaboration with Grizzly Bear's Dan Rossen, "Again."