Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- PSNH To Change Name To Eversource Energy
Tue November 27, 2012
First Public Boat Ramp On Lake Winnipesaukee
After many years of trying, the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department has finally acquired a boat ramp on the state's largest lake.
The recent purchase of a private marina at the southern tip of Alton Bay creates the first state-owned and controlled public boat ramp with parking on Lake Winnipesaukee.
Fish and Game officials say the facility includes an existing boat launch with paved parking for vehicles and trailers, along with several docks that will allow for shore bank fishing.
The site may be temporarily closed while officials determine if maintenance and repairs are necessary. But officials say because they are starting with an existing facility, they don't have to spend months or years on planning, permitting and construction like they would face had they bought undeveloped land.