Most Active Stories
- Sen. Kelly Ayotte's State Director Resigns Following Prostitution-Related Arrest
- Fish And Game Gets An Earful On Proposed Ban Of Chocolate As Bear Bait
- Winning $146K On 'Jeopardy!' Was N.H. Woman's Lifelong Dream Come True
- State To Shut Down Lakeview Special Ed School, Hassan Says More Actions To Come
- Company Says Taking River Water For Balsams Snowmaking Would Hurt Hydroelectric Facilities
Tue October 25, 2011
Former Democratic State Senator Hassan to Run for Governor
Former Democratic state Senator Maggie Hassan has announced she’s running for governor. Hassan is running as a centrist.
Just like current Governor John Lynch, Maggie Hassan says she opposes a broad-based sales or income tax.
Over the past decade that position is almost a prerequisite for any Democratic candidate who wants to be taken seriously.
When it comes to raising existing taxes, Hassan says businesses must have an honest discussion about their priorities.
“We have to have a really top notch 21st century education system, and I know our businesses need that, and similarly we need roads and bridges, and we need broadband. We need to have the conversation. I certainly have been open to other sources of revenue.”
Hassan says Republicans are too focused on waging war on working people, repealing gay marriage and limiting abortion rights.
Republicans say paint Hassan as a big government tax and spender.