Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
- Star Island Seeks To Go Solar, Serve As Energy Example
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
Tue July 17, 2012
Former Governor Sununu says Obama Needs to "Learn How to Be an American"
Former New Hampshire Governor and current Mitt Romney surrogate John Sununu made national headlines, and began trending on Twitter, Tuesday when he made some controversial comments about President Obama.
Sununu’s comments came during a conference call with reporters.
“The men and women all over America who have worked hard to build these businesses, their businesses from the ground up, is how our economy became the envy of the world. It is the American way and I wish this president would learn how to be an American.”
Later in the call, Sununu said what he meant was that the President needs to learn the, quote, “American formula for creating business.”
“Some people may think this was a Birther reference. I really don’t think that’s the case.”
That’s Dean Spiliotes, Political Science professor at Southern New Hampshire University.
“You just never know what comments are going to catch the zeitgeist. It really depends on the content, what else is going on at the moment, who the person is, what that person’s history is. There are a lot of variables that go into whether or not it’s a net gain or a net negative.”
In recent elections Sununu has become well known for his brash political statements.