Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Why Are So Many People Trying A Gluten-Free Diet? Should They?
- Gorham Man Charged With Kidnapping Abigail Hernandez
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
Thu January 26, 2012
Free Tax Help Meant Millions In Refunds To North Country Residents
In six years a North Country group has helped low and moderate income families get more than two million dollars in tax refunds. Now the free service is underway again. NHPR’s Chris Jensen reports.
Once again the Family Resource Center of Gorham is offering free tax preparation for families and individuals earning no more than $58,000.
Last year a record 422 returns were prepared by trained volunteers.
That gave some for North Country residents a fiscal boost.
“We brought in a total of over $570,000 in tax refunds.”
That’s Miranda Bergmeier. She’s with the center.
There was another savings, too. Unlike commercial firms there’s no charge.
“We are also saving them on average, it is estimated, about $300.”
In the last six years refunds have totaled about $2.2 million, according to Bergmeier.
For NHPR News this is Chris Jensen