Most Active Stories
- A Huge, New Ski Resort At The Balsams?
- Rail Study Group Expects 3,000 Riders Daily Between Manchester and Boston
- N.H. Senate Approves Medicaid Expansion Proposal
- Miss. Man Thought Dead, Comes Back To Life On Embalming Table
- With Escalating Heroin Epidemic In Portsmouth, City's Reputation Could Be On The Line
Fri April 26, 2013
Gov. Hassan Says Finishing I-93 Expansion Critical To Economic Growth
Governor Maggie Hassan says expanding Interstate 93 is critical to economic growth in the southern tier of the state.
Hassan told members of the Greater Derry Londonderry Chamber of Commerce she understands the urgency to the region of completing the project.
“We know there are businesses just waiting to grow and begin adding jobs but they need us to finish the I-93 project to take these steps.”
And she says while there is agreement about the need to improve the state’s aging highways and roads, lawmakers continue to debate how to pay for it.
The House budget proposes increasing the gas tax to help fund the state’s infrastructure needs, while a Senate proposal relies on revenue from expanded gambling.
Hassan says it’s incumbent upon the Legislature to come to a compromise.
She also made her pitch for a high-end casino in the southern tier of the state.
When asked where it should be located, she said that should depend on a competitive bid process.