Most Active Stories
- State To Shut Down Lakeview Special Ed School, Hassan Says More Actions To Come
- Fish And Game Gets An Earful On Proposed Ban Of Chocolate As Bear Bait
- Winning $146K On 'Jeopardy!' Was N.H. Woman's Lifelong Dream Come True
- Company Says Taking River Water For Balsams Snowmaking Would Hurt Hydroelectric Facilities
- Meet Peter Biello, NHPR's New 'All Things Considered' Host
Word of Mouth
Thu April 26, 2012
Granite State Gen Ed: Student Loan Debt 101
Student loan debt as a campaign issue: this week, President Obama visited college students in Colorado, North Carolina and Iowa and made urgent appeals to keep interest rates low for current and future college students. The house will vote Friday (4/27/12) on legislation that could keep the interest rate on government-subsidized undergraduate student loans from doubling in July. Last year, student loan debt surpassed credit card debt and auto loans for the first time…with about two-thirds of loans held by individuals under the age of 30.
Josh Rogers is NHPR’s political reporter and has been following this week’s politicking over student debt.