Most Active Stories
- Former UNH Student Goes It Alone In Criminal Court, Wins 'Not Guilty' Verdict
- Update: N.H. AG Says Murder-Suicide Likely In Deaths Of Bedford Mother, Two Children
- Report: Former Chief Justice Banned From UNH Law's Rudman Center
- Why Human Feeding Can Hurt Deer
- Northern Pass Gives $3 Million To Conservation Projects
Wed April 16, 2014
Hoax Bomb Detonated At Boston Finish Line, Suspect In Custody
Police say a man taken into custody near the Boston Marathon finish line had a rice cooker in his backpack and is being charged with possession of a hoax device.
Police Superintendent Randall Halstead says the man was stopped Tuesday by an officer who saw him acting suspiciously. He says the man dropped the backpack.
Halstead says the man also faces charges of disturbing the peace and disorderly conduct.
The backpack was blown up by the bomb squad as a precaution as was a second unattended backpack found nearby. Halstead won't say what was in the second backpack or who owned it. He says police are investigating.
The backpacks rattled nerves on the anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing, which two pressure cooker bombs in backpacks killed three people.
Word of Mouth