Most Active Stories
- State To Shut Down Lakeview Special Ed School, Hassan Says More Actions To Come
- Fish And Game Gets An Earful On Proposed Ban Of Chocolate As Bear Bait
- Winning $146K On 'Jeopardy!' Was N.H. Woman's Lifelong Dream Come True
- Company Says Taking River Water For Balsams Snowmaking Would Hurt Hydroelectric Facilities
- Meet Peter Biello, NHPR's New 'All Things Considered' Host
Wed April 16, 2014
Hoax Bomb Detonated At Boston Finish Line, Suspect In Custody
Police say a man taken into custody near the Boston Marathon finish line had a rice cooker in his backpack and is being charged with possession of a hoax device.
Police Superintendent Randall Halstead says the man was stopped Tuesday by an officer who saw him acting suspiciously. He says the man dropped the backpack.
Halstead says the man also faces charges of disturbing the peace and disorderly conduct.
The backpack was blown up by the bomb squad as a precaution as was a second unattended backpack found nearby. Halstead won't say what was in the second backpack or who owned it. He says police are investigating.
The backpacks rattled nerves on the anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing, which two pressure cooker bombs in backpacks killed three people.
Word of Mouth