Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- PSNH To Change Name To Eversource Energy
Sun October 13, 2013
Hollis Town Hall Unsuspecting Home For Huge Beehive
Contractors renovating the old Hollis Town Hall met with a surprise recently—a huge beehive inside one of the walls. Board of Selectmen Vice Chair Mark Le Doux says the bees were long gone. But they got a pretty clear tip-off before they even saw the hive.
“We were told that there is honey that’s seeping out of the wall. And rather incredulously, we went up and took a look, and sure enough, there were pools of honey on the floor up against the wall,” Le Doux says.
The Nashua Telegraph reports the hive measured eight feet-by-twelve feet. It cost nearly $1,900 dollars to remove. But the $350,000 project remains below budget, and on-track to be completed by the end of the month. Le Doux says nobody knows when the bees arrived, or how long they were there.
And in case you’re curious…Le Doux says he doesn’t know the fate of all that honey.
Word of Mouth
All Things Considered