Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Star Island Seeks To Go Solar, Serve As Energy Example
- Abigail Hernandez Back Home With Family
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Worth Preserving? 'Ugly' Concord Building At Center Of Debate Over Mid-Century Design
Tue May 21, 2013
House Prepares To Vote On Casino Bill
The New Hampshire House will vote Wednesday on whether to legalize one casino along the Massachusetts border.
A special House committee voted 23-22 last week in support of killing a Senate-backed plan to legalize a casino with up to 5,000 slot machines and 150 table games.
House rules require that the recommendation to kill the bill be overturned before considering other options, including passing the bill.
If that happens the House could vote to add more than 10 amendments to the bill.
House Speaker Terie Norelli says she does not yet know which direction the House will head.
Norelli created the special committee that spent a month scrutinizing the bill prior to last week’s vote, when senior Democrats on the committee all voted in support of killing the bill.
Gov. Maggie Hassan has backed the bill from the beginning and has lobbied members of both parties hard. Hassan says she supports legalizing only one casino, critics argue more casinos would be legalized eventually.