Most Active Stories
- Police In Riot Gear Clash With Crowd In Keene, Several Injuries Reported
- Pop-Up Party Company Under Scrutiny For Role In Keene Riots
- Keene State Students Clean Up After Mayhem Near Pumpkin Fest
- First Of Five Health Insurers Outline 2015 Exchange Plans
- At Dartmouth, Sidelines Robot Could Be Key To Quickly Diagnosing Football Concussions
Here's What's Awesome
Wed January 5, 2011
I'm on the Portable Radio
A radio station in a box! This invention from two Canadians puts everything you need for a broadcast, from microphones to transmitting equipment, into one 40 pound container. And it broadcasts for over 18 miles, too, so it's got a bit more range than, say, Mister Microphone.
The price tag is a little hefty - in the tens of thousands of dollars, in fact. But the inventors aren't hoping to hook podcasters and would-be DJ's here; the portable station concept is intended to bring news and information to remote areas of Africa, where there isn't infrastructure to support other kinds of media. Several kits are already en route to some of these locales; it should be interesting to see if they help keep citizens up to date on local issues, or if they end up with a "morning zoo crew" even in the far reaches of Kenya. [The Next Web]
As always, we hope you'll broadcast an awesome link of two in the comments.