Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Why Are So Many People Trying A Gluten-Free Diet? Should They?
- Gorham Man Charged With Kidnapping Abigail Hernandez
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
Wed March 7, 2012
Isaacson Steel Laying Off Workers
After Isaacson Structural Steel was sold off in a bankruptcy auction last month it wasn’t certain what would happen to the employees. But NHPR’s Chris Jensen reports it’s clear now and the news is not good.
In a blow to the North Country more workers at Isaacson Structural Steel in Berlin are being laid off.
About 80 have already lost their jobs with another 40 still on the job finishing up a project, says Diana Nelson with New Hampshire Employment Security.
“There will be a handful of employees at Isaacson’s through mid-April.”
After that, Nelson expects the plant to be shuttered.
The company was purchased by three firms that specialize in selling off industrial equipment.
But one of those - Counsel RB Capital - previously bought the closed Gorham paper mill and then found a buyer that re-opened it.
That has raised a faint hope that the same thing could happen to Isaacson.
For NHPR News this is Chris Jensen