Lead And Asbestos-Ridden 'Alcatraz Of The East' For Lease At Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
The US Navy will offer for lease the former Naval Prison on the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.
The Navy has twice before sought private-sector redevelopment of the old Naval Prison, which closed in 1974. It was built in 1908, and has been called the “Alcatraz of the East.”
The medieval-looking multi-story building is 265,000 square feet and has 11 and a half acres of waterfront land.
The new tenant would be responsible for ensuring structural stability in the now-dilapidated building, and cleaning up hazardous waste, including asbestos and lead paint.
Interested tenants can learn more in early April at a scheduled forum in Eliot, Maine. A formal RFQ, or bidding process, will begin thereafter. More information on the building and forum is available on the Navy website.