Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
Mon August 27, 2012
Loving Dogs In Toms River, N.J.
When a doglover gets to an age when she can't care for a dog anymore, it can be a huge loss.
Since 2009, Simon, a Golden Retriever and his owner, Pat, have been visiting Alice — who is 94 years old and legally blind — in her home near Toms River.
For years, Alice enjoyed the companionship of a dog. Now because of health problems, she cannot. So every week she looks forward to her visits with Pat and Simon, who are part of the Caregiver Canines program.
Our volunteers — human and canine — visit the elderly and those with Alzheimer's disease.
Lynette Whiteman is Executive Director of Caregiver Volunteers of Central Jersey. She listens to WNYC.