Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- Bill Would Require N.H. Employers To Offer Five Sick Days Per Year
Thu March 22, 2012
Majority of North Country Legislators Opposed Special Treatment For New, Specialty Hospitals
Nine of sixteen of North Country legislators voted against a bill that would allow for-profit specialty hospitals to avoid going through the certificate of need regulatory process.
As reported by NHPR “the bill also exempts these hospitals, most of which do not take Medicaid patients, from paying the state's Medicaid Enhancement Tax.
“Opponents say the bill gives an unfair advantage to these for-profit specialty hospitals. Cancer Treatment Centers of America is eyeing New Hampshire as a location for a facility in the Northeast.
"They cherry pick the best patients with the best insurance and take those away from our existing community hospitals," says Rep. Democrat Rich DiPentima of Portsmouth. "...leaving our community hospitals with a greater burden, a greater percentage of their patients relying on Medicaid and uncompensated care," says DiPentima.
The bill passed 198 – 161 and now goes to the Senate.
Here are the North Country reps who voted for the bill:
* Lyle Bulis (Republican) of Littleton
* Duffy Daugherty (Republican) of Colebrook.
* Stephanie Eaton (Republican) of Littleton
* Edmond Gionet (Republican) of Lincoln.
* Larry Rappaport (Republican) of Colebrook.
* Gregory Sorg (Republican) of Easton.
* John Tholl (Republican) of Whitefield
Here are the North Country reps who voted against the bill:
* Gary Coulombe (Democrat) of Berlin
* William Hatch (Democrat) of Gorham
* Evalyn Merrick (Democrat) of Lancaster
* Herb Richardson (Republican) of Lancaster
* William Remick (Republican) of Lancaster
* Robert Theberge (Democrat) of Berlin
* Yvonne Thomas (Democrat) of Berlin
* Kathleen Taylor (Democrat) of Franconia
* Marc Tremblay (Republican) of Berlin
To see how legislators voted on other bills go here.