Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Worth Preserving? 'Ugly' Concord Building At Center Of Debate Over Mid-Century Design
Tue May 20, 2014
N.H. GOP Director Testifies In 'Bridgegate' Scandal
The Executive Director of the New Hampshire Republican Party answered questions in New Jersey on Tuesday regarding his role in the George Washington Bridge scandal involving Governor Chris Christie.
Matt Mowers testified before a special committee investigating whether lane closures on the bridge last September were an act of political retribution after the mayor of Fort Lee Mark Sokolich, a Democrat, declined to endorse Christie.
Mowers was a Christie campaign staffer at the time. He denies any involvement.
“Today, I sit here dumbfounded and disappointed that the actions seemingly taken by a few rogue individuals has tainted the good work that so many people have done on behalf of the state of New Jersey,” said Mowers in an opening statement.
A federal investigation into the lane closures, which at the time were blamed on a traffic study, is ongoing.
Mowers has worked as the New Hampshire GOP’s top staffer since November.