Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Worth Preserving? 'Ugly' Concord Building At Center Of Debate Over Mid-Century Design
Wed April 17, 2013
N.H. Legislator Apologizes For Email Comment
A New Hampshire lawmaker is apologizing for referring to women as "vaginas" in an email to his House colleagues during a debate over repealing a law allowing people to use deadly force to defend themselves.
In an April 1 email, Republican Rep. Peter Hansen of Amherst referenced a speech given by another lawmaker, who described how he'd been able to retreat without using deadly force in public.
Hansen, who supports the law, wrote that only "children and vagina's" were missing from the lawmaker's anecdotes. He said Tuesday that he didn't regret the remark and had used the word for shock value.
On Wednesday, he said he was embarrassed for using it.
Other lawmakers, NARAL-Pro Choice New Hampshire and the state GOP chairwoman were among those saying the remark debased women.