Most Active Stories
- Podcast Special: Crime Writers On Serial, Episode 10 Discussion
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
Wed April 17, 2013
N.H. Legislator Apologizes For Email Comment
A New Hampshire lawmaker is apologizing for referring to women as "vaginas" in an email to his House colleagues during a debate over repealing a law allowing people to use deadly force to defend themselves.
In an April 1 email, Republican Rep. Peter Hansen of Amherst referenced a speech given by another lawmaker, who described how he'd been able to retreat without using deadly force in public.
Hansen, who supports the law, wrote that only "children and vagina's" were missing from the lawmaker's anecdotes. He said Tuesday that he didn't regret the remark and had used the word for shock value.
On Wednesday, he said he was embarrassed for using it.
Other lawmakers, NARAL-Pro Choice New Hampshire and the state GOP chairwoman were among those saying the remark debased women.