Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- The Polish Princess: Baking Bread And Helping The Economy One Job At a Time
Tue March 5, 2013
N.H. Panel Recommends Gambling Bill
A bill backed by Gov. Maggie Hassan to legalize a casino in New Hampshire has gotten the support of the Senate Ways and Means Committee.
On Tuesday, the committee voted 4-1 to recommend passage of the bill that would legalize up to 5,000 video slot machines and 150 table games. The proposal would tax the video slot proceeds at 30 percent and table games at 14 percent. It would require a $425 million investment.
Five percent of the video lottery revenue would go to the host community, neighboring communities and services for problem gambling. The rest would be used to fund highway improvements, higher education and North Country development. The table gaming revenue would all go to higher education.