Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Gorham Man Charged With Kidnapping Abigail Hernandez
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
Thu May 10, 2012
North Country's Gallus Opposed Resolution Applauding Arizona Immigration Law
Senator John Gallus, a Republican from Berlin, was one of nine Senators who voted to kill a resolution voicing support of Arizona’s controversial immigration law.
The motion to kill the resolution failed 15 – 9.
Then, the motion of support was approved on a voice vote for which there is no record of how senators voted.
HCR 2 stated support of the Arizona immigration law noting “the people of the State of Arizona have the right of security in their persons, freedoms, employment, financial future, and practice of religion” that New Hampshire “fully supports the State of Arizona’s right to protect its borders and citizens.”
Its sponsor was Rep. Bruce Marcus, a Republican from Hillsborough.
The bill previously passed the House on a 243 – 102 vote.
Nine North Country representatives voted in favor:
* Duffy Daugherty (Republican) of Colebrook.
* William Remick (Republican) of Lancaster
* Herb Richardson (Republican) of Lancaster
* Lyle Bulis (Republican) of Littleton
* Edmond Gionet (Republican) of Lincoln.
* Larry Rappaport (Republican) of Colebrook.
* John Tholl (Republican) of Whitefield
* Gregory Sorg (Republican) of Easton.
* Marc Tremblay (Republican) of Berlin
Five North Country reps voted against:
* Gary Coulombe (Democrat) of Berlin
* William Hatch (Democrat) of Gorham
* Kathleen Taylor (Democrat) of Franconia
* Robert Theberge (Democrat) of Berlin
* Yvonne Thomas (Democrat) of Berlin
Two reps were excused:
* Evalyn Merrick (Democrat) of Lancaster
* Stephanie Eaton (Republican) of Littleton
To see how reps voted on other issues go here.