Most Active Stories
- Former UNH Student Goes It Alone In Criminal Court, Wins 'Not Guilty' Verdict
- Update: Speaker Demands Apology For Abortion Remark During Debate Over Fourth Graders' Bird Bill
- Update: N.H. AG Says Murder-Suicide Likely In Deaths Of Bedford Mother, Two Children
- Report: Former Chief Justice Banned From UNH Law's Rudman Center
- Why Human Feeding Can Hurt Deer
Mon June 30, 2014
Obama Orders 200 More Troops To Iraq
Originally published on Mon June 30, 2014 7:32 pm
In a letter to Congress, President Obama said he is sending up to 200 additional troops to Iraq to provide security for U.S. personnel already on the ground in the country.
Obama said the force is equipped for combat, but it is being sent to "reinforce security at the U.S. Embassy, its support facilities, and the Baghdad International Airport."
The United States has beefed up its presence in Iraq since a Sunni militant group launched an insurgency in the country.
Obama says this force is also equipped with rotary-wing aircraft and can assist with intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance.