Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
Mon June 30, 2014
Obama Orders 200 More Troops To Iraq
Originally published on Mon June 30, 2014 7:32 pm
In a letter to Congress, President Obama said he is sending up to 200 additional troops to Iraq to provide security for U.S. personnel already on the ground in the country.
Obama said the force is equipped for combat, but it is being sent to "reinforce security at the U.S. Embassy, its support facilities, and the Baghdad International Airport."
The United States has beefed up its presence in Iraq since a Sunni militant group launched an insurgency in the country.
Obama says this force is also equipped with rotary-wing aircraft and can assist with intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance.