Most Active Stories
- Former UNH Student Goes It Alone In Criminal Court, Wins 'Not Guilty' Verdict
- Update: N.H. AG Says Murder-Suicide Likely In Deaths Of Bedford Mother, Two Children
- Report: Former Chief Justice Banned From UNH Law's Rudman Center
- Why Human Feeding Can Hurt Deer
- Northern Pass Gives $3 Million To Conservation Projects
New England Snapshot
Fri May 16, 2014
Part-Time Faculty Form Union At Northeastern University
Originally published on Fri May 16, 2014 8:30 am
In a striking move, part-time faculty at Northeastern University voted to unionize Thursday, making it the third Boston-area college in the past seven months to do so. Kirk Carapezza and Mallory Noe-Payne report at our On Campus blog.
A day after the Bruins' season ended, part-time professors at Northeastern streamed across Causeway Street in the shadow of the Boston Garden to celebrate their victory. On this muggy day, they sat together at the end of the bar. They toasted each other and swapped stories after a long, cold winter of campaigning.
Bill Shimer is a part-time business professor who helped lead the campaign. As he tipped back a beer, he couldn't stop smiling.
"It feels wonderful," Shimer said. "It feels like a great advance for Northeastern, for adjuncts, for students for parents because we hope to raise standards at our university and make it a better place for everybody."
- Read more at On Campus
A Matter of Degrees