Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
- Star Island Seeks To Go Solar, Serve As Energy Example
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
New England Snapshot
Fri May 16, 2014
Part-Time Faculty Form Union At Northeastern University
Originally published on Fri May 16, 2014 8:30 am
In a striking move, part-time faculty at Northeastern University voted to unionize Thursday, making it the third Boston-area college in the past seven months to do so. Kirk Carapezza and Mallory Noe-Payne report at our On Campus blog.
A day after the Bruins' season ended, part-time professors at Northeastern streamed across Causeway Street in the shadow of the Boston Garden to celebrate their victory. On this muggy day, they sat together at the end of the bar. They toasted each other and swapped stories after a long, cold winter of campaigning.
Bill Shimer is a part-time business professor who helped lead the campaign. As he tipped back a beer, he couldn't stop smiling.
"It feels wonderful," Shimer said. "It feels like a great advance for Northeastern, for adjuncts, for students for parents because we hope to raise standards at our university and make it a better place for everybody."
- Read more at On Campus
A Matter of Degrees