Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- Bill Would Require N.H. Employers To Offer Five Sick Days Per Year
Word of Mouth - Segment
Thu March 15, 2012
A pond by any other name...
In his 2010 Comedy Central stand-up special, comedian Louis C.K. pondered a sometimes-epithet and the fine line between desciptor, and slur. Joking aside, C.K.’s take hits very close to home for the townspeople of Mont Vernon, New Hampshire, who, for the past several months, have been engaged in a fierce debate about whether or not a small local pond’s name on federal maps, “Jew Pond” is offensive, and whether the pond should get a new moniker.
All Things Considered