Most Active Stories
Thu November 7, 2013
Report: Man Who Shot Son At Manchester YWCA Was Not Searched
The man who killed his 9-year-old son and then himself during a supervised visit at the Manchester YWCA in August was not searched before entering the building.
The state Attorney General’s office released its final report on the incident on Thursday.
Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeff Strelzin says investigators interviewed employees who were working at the YWCA the day Muni Savyon killed his son Joshua.
“What the witnesses told us was that there was a handheld wand type metal detector that was sometimes used. It had sometimes been used in the past, but it was not used on the day of this murder-suicide.”
Savyon had made threats about killing his son in the past.
A timeline in the report shows that roughly a week and a half before the shooting, a domestic violence protection order filed by Joshua’s mother against Savyon was mistakenly allowed to expire.
That order prohibited Savyon from purchasing firearms, but investigators say he likely had the gun used in the shooting before that.
Stelzin says the report shows Savyon purchased ammunition in Hooksett four days before the shooting.
“But even if the order had been in effect and been in the system, it would not have prevented him from buying the ammunition because the check that’s done in the gun stores is not done when you buy ammunition.”
The morning of the shooting, Savyon sent an email to his neighbors saying he planned to commit the murder-suicide.
Strelzin says the neighbors did not see the email, which was written in Hebrew, until after the shooting.
In the email, Savyon refers to "self-righteous judges, lawyers and psychologists."
Savyon had been upset by the recent death of his brother and the custody battle involving his son.