Most Active Stories
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
- In Somersworth, Friends, Not Jobs, Bring Millennials Home
Mon July 14, 2014
Reporters Weigh In On Illinois Issues
Here & Now’s Jeremy Hobson is broadcasting from WILL in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, and he’s taking a look at some of the issues facing this Midwestern state with two journalists who work there. Jim Meadows is a senior reporter at WILL, and Niala Boodhoo is the afternoon host at WBEZ in Chicago.
Illinois is grappling with budget problems. The fiscal year ended last month with 46,000 unpaid bills, while Chicago, the state’s largest city, has seen some very violent weekends this summer. Sixteen people were killed and more than 80 people were wounded on the Fourth of July weekend alone.
On Sunday, Illinois’ Democratic governor Pat Quinn renewed his call for a ban assault weapons and expand background checks.
- Jim Meadows, senior reporter at WILL in Urbana, Illinois.
- Niala Boodhoo, afternoon host at WBEZ in Chicago. She tweets @NialaBoodhoo.