Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- PSNH To Change Name To Eversource Energy
Wed March 20, 2013
Rockingham Healthiest County In N.H., Coos Struggles
Rockingham County is officially the healthiest place in New Hampshire, while Coos County is struggling in terms of public health. That’s according to a report released by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin.
The report ranks counties in every state based on a number of health, social, and economic factors. In New Hampshire, Rockingham earns the Number One spot. Grafton ranks second. Only one out-of-ten Rockingham County residents are reported in poor or fair health. Nine out-of-ten residents there are insured, and the county saw the fewest people die before the age of 75.
By contrast, Coos County ranks as the least-healthy in New Hampshire. Coos had many more premature deaths than other counties, and nearly one-out-of-five residents are reported in poor or fair health. That’s double the rate of Rockingham County. Coos also has the highest rates of adult smoking and adult obesity in New Hampshire.