Most Active Stories
- Sen. Kelly Ayotte's State Director Resigns Following Prostitution-Related Arrest
- O'Malley Connects With Young N.H. Voters -- Musically
- Fish And Game Gets An Earful On Proposed Ban Of Chocolate As Bear Bait
- Keene City Council Rejects Permit For 2015 Pumpkin Festival
- N.H. House Passes Budget, Cuts $300 Million From Hassan's Plan
Thu June 7, 2012
Romney, Republicans Pulled In More Money In May Than Obama, Democrats
Presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his fellow Republicans report raising more than $76 million last month, topping the $60 million collected by President Obama and the Democratic Party.
The Associated Press points out that "it's the first month that the former Massachusetts governor has collected more money than Obama, who is known for his fundraising prowess."
Also, AP says, "the latest figure represents a significant jump in fundraising by Romney. He and the Republicans brought in $40 million in April, just short of the $43.6 million Obama and Democrats raised that month."
"Democrats have long expected that Romney would close the financial gap after winning his party's nomination, but the speed with which he has done it has been impressive — and, to some Obama allies, alarming, especially considering how much air support he'll be getting from deep-pocketed outside groups."
The Hill notes that "despite a hard push — enlisting the help of celebrities like George Clooney and Sarah Jessica Parker — the president was still outpaced by his Republican rival."
Our friends at It's All Politics are following the 2012 campaign here.