Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- Bill Would Require N.H. Employers To Offer Five Sick Days Per Year
Tue August 21, 2012
Rosie O'Donnell Had Heart Attack, Uses Verse To Spread News And Message
Originally published on Tue August 21, 2012 11:15 am
Rosie O'Donnell has chosen an unusual way to tell her fans that she suffered a heart attack last week:
And she's using the experience to urge other women to "listen to the voice inside" and call 911 if they suffer the symptoms she did — which she tried to ignore for a day.
It seems that last Tuesday (Aug. 14), the 50-year-old comedian/actress/talk show host helped a heavy woman get out of her car. She writes that:
"it was not easy
"but together we did it
"she was up and on her way
"a few hours later my body hurt
" i had an ache in my chest
"both my arms were sore
"everything felt bruised"
Later, she felt "nauseous ... clammy ... very hot. ... i threw up."
But it wasn't until the next day that she went to a doctor — who "did an EKG and sent me to the hospital ... where a stent was put in."
According to O'Donnell, her left anterior descending artery was "99% blocked."
She ends her post with this message for women:
"know the symptoms ladies
"listen to the voice inside
"the one we all so easily ignore
In February, our colleague Scott Hensley wrote on the Shots blog about how "In Women, Heart Attacks Often Strike Without Chest Pain."