Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Abigail Hernandez Back Home With Family
- Star Island Seeks To Go Solar, Serve As Energy Example
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Worth Preserving? 'Ugly' Concord Building At Center Of Debate Over Mid-Century Design
Mon May 13, 2013
Sen. Shaheen: IRS Targeting Tea Party Groups 'Completely Unacceptable'
U.S. Senator Jeanne Shaheen is calling for an investigation after the head of the Internal Revenue Service acknowledged it gave more scrutiny to conservative groups seeking tax exempt status.
An official with the IRS apologized last week, saying the practice of targeting groups with the terms tea party or patriot in their names was wrong.
On Monday, Senator Shaheen called the actions "completely unacceptable" and said an investigation must follow.
“I think Congress has an oversight responsibility to make sure that investigation gets done and to make sure if there are people responsible, that they are punished appropriately.”
At a press conference Monday, President Obama called the actions by the IRS "outrageous" and pledged to get to the bottom of what happened.