Most Active Stories
- A Huge, New Ski Resort At The Balsams?
- Rail Study Group Expects 3,000 Riders Daily Between Manchester and Boston
- N.H. Senate Approves Medicaid Expansion Proposal
- Miss. Man Thought Dead, Comes Back To Life On Embalming Table
- With Escalating Heroin Epidemic In Portsmouth, City's Reputation Could Be On The Line
Mon May 13, 2013
Sen. Shaheen: IRS Targeting Tea Party Groups 'Completely Unacceptable'
U.S. Senator Jeanne Shaheen is calling for an investigation after the head of the Internal Revenue Service acknowledged it gave more scrutiny to conservative groups seeking tax exempt status.
An official with the IRS apologized last week, saying the practice of targeting groups with the terms tea party or patriot in their names was wrong.
On Monday, Senator Shaheen called the actions "completely unacceptable" and said an investigation must follow.
“I think Congress has an oversight responsibility to make sure that investigation gets done and to make sure if there are people responsible, that they are punished appropriately.”
At a press conference Monday, President Obama called the actions by the IRS "outrageous" and pledged to get to the bottom of what happened.