Most Active Stories
- Sen. Kelly Ayotte's State Director Resigns Following Prostitution-Related Arrest
- O'Malley Connects With Young N.H. Voters -- Musically
- Fish And Game Gets An Earful On Proposed Ban Of Chocolate As Bear Bait
- Keene City Council Rejects Permit For 2015 Pumpkin Festival
- N.H. House Passes Budget, Cuts $300 Million From Hassan's Plan
Mon May 13, 2013
Sen. Shaheen: IRS Targeting Tea Party Groups 'Completely Unacceptable'
U.S. Senator Jeanne Shaheen is calling for an investigation after the head of the Internal Revenue Service acknowledged it gave more scrutiny to conservative groups seeking tax exempt status.
An official with the IRS apologized last week, saying the practice of targeting groups with the terms tea party or patriot in their names was wrong.
On Monday, Senator Shaheen called the actions "completely unacceptable" and said an investigation must follow.
“I think Congress has an oversight responsibility to make sure that investigation gets done and to make sure if there are people responsible, that they are punished appropriately.”
At a press conference Monday, President Obama called the actions by the IRS "outrageous" and pledged to get to the bottom of what happened.