Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
Wed October 2, 2013
Shaheen, Ayotte Donating Salary To Charity During Shutdown
"Congress needs to come together, got govt working again," Shaheen wrote in the tweet.
A spokeman from Sen. Kelly Ayotte's office released this statement Tuesday: “Any days that federal workers do not get paid, Sen. Ayotte will donate her salary to a New Hampshire charity.”
Shaheen and Ayotte both earn a salary of $174,000.
And 2nd District Congresswoman Ann McLane Kuster's office released a statement saying she is donating her a portion of her pay to Child and Family Services of New Hampshire and organizations serving veterans and military families.
They join a growing list of members of Congress who have pledged to go unpaid until the shutdown is resolved.
Asked about giving up her salary, 1st District Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter says, "My husband and I contribute regularly to good causes. We'll continue to make charitable donations. We have always kept our charitable giving private and will continue to do so."