Most Active Stories
- A Huge, New Ski Resort At The Balsams?
- Rail Study Group Expects 3,000 Riders Daily Between Manchester and Boston
- Miss. Man Thought Dead, Comes Back To Life On Embalming Table
- With Escalating Heroin Epidemic In Portsmouth, City's Reputation Could Be On The Line
- From Gertrude Stein To Andy Warhol: Dramatic Readings Of Famous Rejection Letters
Wed October 2, 2013
Shaheen, Ayotte Donating Salary To Charity During Shutdown
"Congress needs to come together, got govt working again," Shaheen wrote in the tweet.
A spokeman from Sen. Kelly Ayotte's office released this statement Tuesday: “Any days that federal workers do not get paid, Sen. Ayotte will donate her salary to a New Hampshire charity.”
Shaheen and Ayotte both earn a salary of $174,000.
And 2nd District Congresswoman Ann McLane Kuster's office released a statement saying she is donating her a portion of her pay to Child and Family Services of New Hampshire and organizations serving veterans and military families.
They join a growing list of members of Congress who have pledged to go unpaid until the shutdown is resolved.
Asked about giving up her salary, 1st District Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter says, "My husband and I contribute regularly to good causes. We'll continue to make charitable donations. We have always kept our charitable giving private and will continue to do so."