Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Why Are So Many People Trying A Gluten-Free Diet? Should They?
- Gorham Man Charged With Kidnapping Abigail Hernandez
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
Word of Mouth
Thu September 27, 2012
Should Politicians Take Heed of Refs' Return?
Football fans are rejoicing today at news that the National Football League finally reached a deal with referees… their lockout put replacement refs at the center of a pop culture firestorm.
Joking aside, the lockout has added some grist to a continuing political debate…the role of organized labor and collective bargaining. It was the Green Bay Packers, after all, who lost to Seattle on Monday night after what most people agree was a bad call. Even Wisconsin's Governor Scott Walker, no friend to unions, tweeted a plea for the return of the NFL’s locked-out unionized officials.
Could it be that the one thing to unite political foes is messing with football? Dave Zirin, Sports Editor for The Nation, who writes the Edge of Sports blog on the intersection of politics and sports.