Most Active Stories
- Sen. Kelly Ayotte's State Director Resigns Following Prostitution-Related Arrest
- O'Malley Connects With Young N.H. Voters -- Musically
- Fish And Game Gets An Earful On Proposed Ban Of Chocolate As Bear Bait
- Keene City Council Rejects Permit For 2015 Pumpkin Festival
- Winning $146K On 'Jeopardy!' Was N.H. Woman's Lifelong Dream Come True
Thu June 12, 2014
Shurtleff Announcing Run For N.H. House Speaker
House Majority Leader Steve Shurtleff is announcing his candidacy to replace retiring House Speaker Terie Norelli.
The Concord Democrat is holding a news conference Thursday to announce his bid and outline some of his priorities if selected in December when the new Legislature organizes.
Mont Vernon Republican Bill O'Brien, Bartlett Republican Gene Chandler and Bedford Republican Laurie Sanborn also are seeking the leadership position. O'Brien and Chandler are former speakers.
Who is selected speaker will likely depend on which party controls the chamber. Democrats are in charge now, but Republicans hope to win back the control they had after the 2010 election.