Most Active Stories
- Former UNH Student Goes It Alone In Criminal Court, Wins 'Not Guilty' Verdict
- Update: Speaker Demands Apology For Abortion Remark During Debate Over Fourth Graders' Bird Bill
- Update: N.H. AG Says Murder-Suicide Likely In Deaths Of Bedford Mother, Two Children
- Report: Former Chief Justice Banned From UNH Law's Rudman Center
- Why Human Feeding Can Hurt Deer
Thu June 12, 2014
Shurtleff Announcing Run For N.H. House Speaker
House Majority Leader Steve Shurtleff is announcing his candidacy to replace retiring House Speaker Terie Norelli.
The Concord Democrat is holding a news conference Thursday to announce his bid and outline some of his priorities if selected in December when the new Legislature organizes.
Mont Vernon Republican Bill O'Brien, Bartlett Republican Gene Chandler and Bedford Republican Laurie Sanborn also are seeking the leadership position. O'Brien and Chandler are former speakers.
Who is selected speaker will likely depend on which party controls the chamber. Democrats are in charge now, but Republicans hope to win back the control they had after the 2010 election.